- Elected a new WIN strategy team,
- Discussed the budget of the organization,
- Ratified next steps in our stormwater jobs campaign, and committed to bring at least 965 leaders to an action in April,
- Ratified our FY 2014 budget plan and priorities committing to engage 1,975 leaders minimum in the process
- Learned about upcoming actions and strategy sessions
- Briefing your organizations on the campaign. We have a powerpoint and various briefing materials that leaders and organizers can use.
- April 22nd Action WIN will bring together a broad constituency from every ward of the District, along with allies in the Chesapeake Watershed to ensure investment in water infrastructure deliver a triple bottom line:
- Good jobs for unemployed/ underemployed residents,
- Reduced storm water pollution our rivers, streams, and our waterways and the Chesapeake Bay,
- More beautiful and less flood prone cities.
- Brief your organizations on the campaign we have powerpoints, videos, and materials to help you at your briefing.
- Sign up voters who will stand ready to weigh in (through turnout, emails, and phone calls) at key moments in the budget season.
WIN FY 2014 BUDGET PRIORITIES
Build HomesInvest $100 million per year for Housing Production Trust Fund, and support programs like the Local Rent Supplement to make DC more affordable for the 63% of renters who spend more than half of their income on housing (exact $ pending Taskforce Recommendations) End Chronic Homelessness in 5 Years – Invest $ 6.1 million to house and provide services to 150 individuals and families. Reach all homeless youth by 2018 – Invest $6.1 million in year one to provide housing, intensive counseling, and educational and career services for 150 youth, as well as fund, for the first time, a coordinated and mobile intake system for the estimated 3,000 youth ages 16-24 who experience homelessness every year in DC.
Invest in Our YouthWe are organizing so that both a 25 year old who grew up in DC and one who moved here from another part of the country have the same opportunity to reach the American dream. Reaching Homeless Youth (see above) Connecting Disconnected Youth to an Education and a Career (see above) Invest $5 million to serve 1,000 disconnected youth. There are 9,910 youth in DC who are neither in school nor have a job. This funding would connect 1,000 youth 16-24 with high quality and outcome driven programs to reconnect disconnected youth with school and / or training and employment.
A Modern City with Jobs for AllDC must upgrade its infrastructure to green and modernize our city. This creates opportunities to connect unemployed residents with careers. In the FY2014 Budget Support Act WIN will organize to include language on accountability and incentives for hiring unemployed residents in areas such as: Stormwater Infrastructure Upgrades at DC Water & DC Department of Environment Energy Retrofits on private homes and public buildings Transportation Upgrades